The Mark Trumbo saga continues in Birdland…
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Trumbo is now willing to take a lesser deal from the Baltimore Orioles.
“Trumbo recently asked the O’s for a three-year, $50 million contract, but later indicated that he would sign a deal of the same length in a lesser $40 million to $50 million range, according to major-league sources,” said Rosenthal.
He would continue: “The willingness of Trumbo to accept a three-year deal below $50 million — after the two sides reportedly discussed four-year contracts at higher guarantees earlier this off-season — would at least appear to create room for negotiation. The Orioles made Trumbo an “aggressive” three-year offer at the start of the off-season, general manager Dan Duquette told MLB Network on Thursday.”
This would be a complete 180 for Trumbo’s camp. He previously wanted a deal that was in the four-year/$80 million range. Now he is willing to accept a deal that is much lower because of the market that has been set by Edwin Encarnacion. Encarnacion received a three-year/$65 million deal.
Orioles general manager Dan Duquette also spoke about Trumbo a few days ago. He wasn’t optimistic about re-signing the 2016 home run leader and he would rather take the draft pick.
Trumbo has also garnered interest from the Colorado Rockies, Oakland Athletics and most recently, the Texas Rangers. If the Orioles don’t make their move soon, Trumbo could go elsewhere.
The O’s are also taking a look at re-signing Pedro Alvarez. Alvarez, who was the designated hitter against right-handed pitchers, hit .249/.322/.504 with 22 homers on the season. He provides a big bat as a left-handed hitter.
Adding a switch-hitter like Angel Pagan to handle one outfield slot and moving Smith to a DH platoon with either Christian Walker or Trey Mancini makes a fair amount of sense as well, in my eyes. The O’s are also eyeing left-handed relievers and rotation depth, per Rosenthal.
It could happen very soon, just depending on how the market rolls out.